Welcome to my adventure. I hope you enjoy it too.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I heart Penang... and Langkawi is pretty nice too.

It turns out it is Raining Season in Malaysia.... again. And seven hours on a train to Butterworth confirmed that it does rain in Rainy Season, and the best seats in the carriage are rubbish when the roof leaks. Disappointingly it's not a terribly interesting journey unless you are a die-hard fan of Palm Oil, which I am not.

I am even less of a fan of badly partitioned rooms, and three drunk Poms with a tendency to spray fire extinguishers and throw hamburgers at ungodly hours of the morning.

However, I do love the combination of smog, traffic, random smells of gross and amazing in equal proportions, rundown chinese shop fronts and general chaos that is George Town. I also love the ornately decorated trishaws and their over-enthusiastic drivers, friendly locals and ordering some menu item previously unknown and getting something amazing.

Penang Style
I love that walking and gawking is for free but also ice cold 100plus which is not and short spurts of intensive air-con treatment, which are worth more than gold when it's that hot.

and it was hot!
I am also quite fond of using alarm-clocks. They can be handy when you need to wake up on time to catch a ferry at 8.30 on a Sunday morning. In fact I use two - one on my wristwatch and one on Brett's cell phone - just in case one doesn't work when it needs to. Sometimes I let Brett set the alarms for me. It's called trust.

8.11am: "Oh shit! We slept in! We're going to miss the ferry. Why didn't the alarm go off?"

There is nothing like a mass panic and a run with 17kg of bag on your back to get the juices flowing in the morning.

But we did make it, with a whole THREE minutes to spare.

Thankfully, too, otherwise Brett would have been blamed for me not laxing in our slightly lopsided beachside hut on Langkawi,

The left side is slowly becoming one with the beach

Or swimming at the edge of a waterfall,

A nice place to swim so close to death

Or discovering what the "Beware of Jellyfish" warnings really meant.

They should have specified 'Jellymonster'


Notes to future self:
  • Jackets are very handy items, even inside trains.
  • Reaffirm commitment to eat less chocolate and Pringles flavoured Palm Oil.
  • If it looks like the wall of a bathroom cubicle, don't rent it.
  • Check alarms - always.
  • Do beware of the Jellymonsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment